General Cable, with its Exzhellent-Mar® and Genfire®-Mar series of marine cables, covers the whole wiring requirements of the commercial shipboards. They are designed in accordance with current IEC standards for installation in power distribution, control circuits and signals in fixed installations on vessels.
As an innovation in this sector, General Cable presents its exclusive series of cables for fixed installations with flexible, sector-shaped copper conductors in sizes above 50 mm2, to facilitate laying and installation in shorter times and to save on occupied space.
The cables are also designed to comply with strict non-fire propagation standards. Furthermore, the polymer compounds used are halogen free, give off low opaque smoke and acid gas emissions which allow a safe evacuation in case of fire.
Exzhellent-Mar® cable series may be used in extreme climates, as demonstrated in their compliance with the requisites of the CSA 22.2 standard involving the cold bending test at -40ºC and the impact test at -35ºC.
The armored cables are designed with copper braid that provides good mechanical protection and may also be used in specific applications such as screening.
Exzhellent-Mar cables have been designed to comply the following standards depending on the cable type, for electrical installations in ships:
- General construction and test requirements (IEC 60092-350)
- Low-voltage power cables (IEC 60092-353)
- Medium-voltage cables (IEC 60092-354)
- Control cables (IEC 60092-376)
- Instrumentaion cables (IEC 60092-376)
Exzhellent-Mar and Genfire-Mar cables comply with the following fire performance standards:
- Test for vertical flame spread of vertically-mounted bunched wires or cables (IEC 60332-3-22 cat A)
- Test for fire resistance of electric cables (circuit integrity) (IEC 60331)
- Determination of the amount of halogen acid gas (IEC 60754-1)
- Measurement of smoke density of cables burning under defined conditions (IEC 61034-2)